Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Number Pieces

This post has been in the works for awhile, but I finally decided to to get it done!



Number Pieces Basic is one of our favorite apps, and I wanted to share a little bit  about how we use it.  We use number pieces whenever we need to do anything with place value.

When we first started out using it we were simply making numbers with tens and ones


Write the number... then build it with tens and ones

Then we moved on to adding a one digit to a two digit number 

We like to mix pencil and paper with the iPads

Virtual manipulatives are awesome!

Now we are adding and subtracting two digit numbers  and we need this app even more. Our resource wanted the kiddos building multiple tens sticks (up to nine per problem) with interlocking cubes.I agree there is a place for regular tangible manipulatives (and we have used them in the past) but this was not it. I don't know about you, but with my kiddos it's very hard to keep tools from turning into toys. Cubs get thrown, castles get built, and we all know what little boys make with them... GU*S! Ugg no thank you! I would much rather spend time working with kids on the skill at hand than managing the evil cubes! Plus I don't have enough cubes for every kid to build the number 94!!!

This worked so much better!!

Build 20 remove 10 How many are left?

They built the first number, deleted the second number and wrote the equation

10...20...

I don't even want to think about doing this with the cubes...

Thank God for Number Pieces



No comments:

Post a Comment